Master painter Ernst Peter (1853–1929) ran a painting company in Herford. When his son, Wilhelm Peter (master craftsman’s diploma dated 08/03/1906), joined the company, Ernst expanded the business to include a furniture painting shop and founded Ernst Peter & Sohn (oldest excerpt from the commercial register dated 14/11/1922). During the First World War, Ernst Peter retired from the business and handed the management of the company over to his son, Wilhelm Peter.
As sole managing director, Wilhelm Peter developed the company into a production operation with wholesale trade. The company was expanded in 1923 and a paint, oil paint and putty factory was established. During the Second World War, it was possible to continue production with a reduced workforce and despite air-raid damage. It served the domestic industry and the painting trade.
In 1946, the chemical engineer Ernst-Heinrich (Henner) Peter, son of Wilhelm Peter, was appointed to the management. Wilhelm Peter died two years later. After his death, the company operated under the name of Ernst Peter & Sohn KG from 1 January 1949. In addition to Henner Peter, his brother-in-law Joachim Siller, who had worked in the management since 1937, was a general partner.
Dipl. Kaufmann (business administration graduate) Andreas Peter, who is also state-certified technician for paints, coatings and plastics, acquired Joachim Siller’s shares in 1977, joined the management in 1978 and, like his father E.H. Peter, became a personally liable partner and managing director in equal parts. Andreas Peter was able to develop PETER / LACKE from a supplier to the regional furniture industry into a global automotive supplier.
David N. Peter
After studying at RWTH Aachen University (industrial engineering) and at the University of Paderborn (coatings chemistry), David N. Peter joined the management of PETER / LACKE GmbH in 2008, in the middle of the sub-prime crisis. In 2012, David Peter took a 2-year break from his job in management and took a position as personal assistance to Dr Andreas Hettich (Hettich Holding) in order to gain additional experience. Since the end of 2015, he has been the sole owner of PETER / LACKE GmbH. In December 2015, Andreas Peter passed the baton to David N. Peter at the MARTa museum and thus gave the 5th generation of Peter’s the helm. As a first step, he developed the USA business through the establishment of a subsidiary in Detroit and acquisition of a paint factory in California.
Relocation of the company from the centre of Herford to Hiddenhausen / Schweicheln owing to a lack of space began in 1956.
In June 1959, completion of the 3rd new build made it possible to bring production and administration together in Schweicheln.
The paint factory L. Voigt & Co. in Nieheim was acquired on 1 July 1966 and the programme was continues in Schweicheln.
In 1978, the competitor Klingenberg closed in Herford and EPS established their wood varnish laboratory.
When one fire section of the old and new nitro hall respectively burned down in January 1980, summer 1983 and Easter 2012, it was possible to move production to other departments.
In 1988, expansion works were gradually begun because the number of employees doubled.
The last construction phase in the so-called “great hall” begins this year.
With the furniture and glass coatings business PETER / LACKE came to Thailand and the Philippines.
Foundation of the company PETER / LACKE Polska in Steszew near Poznań.
PETER/LACKE Polska moved to Swieta Katarzyna near Breslau in Poland.
Foundation of a 100% subsidiary in Shanghai, China.
Foundation of PETER/LACKE Hungaria Kft in Mór near Budapest.
Foundation of PETER / LACKE Russia in Moscow.
Foundation of PETER / LACKE México S.A. de CV in Querétaro.
Foundation of PETER / LACKE Türkiye in Pendik.
Foundation of PETER / LACKE coating factory in Michigan, USA.
With the acquisition of Magna Coatings, PETER / LACKE was able to expand its product range on the American continent.